The island of Saona is a paradise found in the Caribbean. Its part of the Dominican Republic located southwest of the Hispaniola island. The D.R. is the destination of choice for millions of tourists per year from the United States, Europe, and other countries. And many of these visitores end up taking a day trip to Saona every day. Although it may seem quite touristy, being on the island and visting the Natural Reserve it feels like a Caribbean dream.
Imagine sailing on a catamaran at leisure, feeling the sea breeze in your hair and enjoying the characteristic Cuba Libre drink on your trip to Isla Saona. While on the island, you can enjoy beautiful beaches with Caribbean music, palm trees and fresh piña coladas while enjoying the deep turquoise ocean.
Saona Island has it all for tourists, but visitors should know about the island before setting out to visit. This blog will take a look at the information you will need to know before going to Saona Island.
Where is the Isla Saona Located?
Saona Island is part of Del Este National Park and is located on the southern coast of the Dominican Republic, approximately halfway between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana, in the Bayahibe region. The island is located south of the national park and is separated from the mainland by a natural channel. The distance to another navigable island, the Catalina Islands, is about 15 miles.
How to Get to Saona Island?
To visit Saona Island, you have four options to get from Punta Cana, La Romana or Santo Domingo to Saona Island in the South-East of Hispaniola.
- Guided excursions to and from Punta Cana with all services.
- Go to Bayahibe by yourself (by car, public transportation or cab) and take a short trip from Bayahibe to Saona Island* (all services included).
- Flight from Punta Cana to Saona Island by helicopter.
- Go to Bayahibe by yourself and take a public boat or private boat to Mano Juan, the only village on the island that is not a tourist tour.
How Can you Book a Tour to Saona Island?
The best way to book a tour to Saona is through a variety of tour operators. It is a good idea to book online as you can see the reviews first. Also, it is usually cheaper than booking at a hotel. Another option is to book a beach excursion. Beach carriers may offer better prices because they don’t have to pay for marketing. In short, it’s best to look for deals online to provide payment capabilities and other benefits.
What Hotels are in Saona Island?
There are no all-inclusive hotels or resorts on Saona Island. However, there are three simple guesthouses in Mano Juan, the only small town on the island.
- Casa Rural.
- Saona Lodge.
- Isla Saona Beach House.
Hotels Nearby Saona Island
- Be Live Collection Canoa (16.1 miles)
- Catalonia Bayahibe (16.5 miles)
- Whala!Bayahibe (17.3 miles)
- Hilton La Romana, An All-Inclusive Adult Only Resort (19.0 miles)
- Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana (29.2 miles)
- Secrets Cap Cana (29.2 miles)
What Touristic Places Can You Visit in Saona Island?
You can go to Saona Island to swim, sunbathe, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. However, Isla Saona also has several attractions and attractions that are worth a visit like:
- Playa Catuano: One of the most popular beaches, with sea guards and the aforementioned snorkeling shipwrecks.
- Kotsubanama National Park: Known as Parque Nacional Este, this national park covers the entire Bayahibe peninsula and Saona Island, including coral reefs and underwater reserves.
- Saona Channel: Channel that separates Saona Island from the mainland. Normally, only private boats pass through here
- Mano Juan: The only village on the island where some 300 people live an unusually simple life. If you want to get away from it all, there are also two places to stay.
- Canto de la Playa: Canto de la Playa is a pristine lagoon and beach in the most remote part of Saona Island. Canto de la Playa is about 5 km from Mano Juan.
We hope you enjoyed our blog post about Saona Island. Saona Island is the perfect vacation destination for people who want to enjoy a laid-back lifestyle and tropical weather year-round. We wrote this article for those who were interested in learning about Saona Island and what you can do to make the most out of your trip! We will keep you posted about new things to do in Saona Island and more interesting things about this beautiful place.